November 10, 2010
By National Historical Baking Society
The National Baking Society is dedicated to preserving American baking standards, techniques, ingredients, ideas and recipes. (In less extravagant/ornate prose – The National Baking Society is a blog from the folks at Baked).
Other things you should know about the National Baking Society (i.e. Baked):
- we take brownies very seriously
- we have a strange obsession with odd celebrity cookbooks (Cooking for Cher is a true masterpiece)
- we like ill-named recipes (“lacy panty cakes” anyone?)
- we don’t eat enough vegetables
- we wholeheartedly encourage the sharing, dissemination, and updating of forgotten baking treats. if you want us to blog about a family recipe, send it (along with some background info) to: info at bakednyc dot com
These are some of the less interesting parts of the Society (though you might want to read them):
- we monitor comments because we don’t like to deal with riff raff and spam. it doesn’t mean we won’t publish opposing viewpoints, we just want to keep the “nasty” to a minimum.
- we try to answer all general questions within the commenting section or on our Facebook Page. if you have other questions, feel free to email us at info at bakednyc dot com and reference the blog post in question.
About our illustrious contributors:
Over the years, we have had many wonderful contributors to bakingsociety.com. Some have long since retired and some have gone on to bigger and better things (yes, this is hard to imagine since the National Baking Society is so damn important), and some are still working with us, but they are too busy to blog. In the meantime, Matt is still trying to blog often (“often” being a relative term).
Bret Hansen – Designer
bret designed our blog (and website), and he would probably design your blog if you asked him. he also designs all sorts of printed and online matter and we happen to think he is talented and great.
Bret online – nowprojector.com (website)
Steven Crawford – Developer
Steven set up the blog (and developed the Baked website). He hates to write about himself, but loves spending quality time in modal text editors and dreaming in code.
Steven online – shelbybark.com
Join the Society?
Perhaps, if the society ever gets its act together, all joiners (members) will get something special (like a piece of chocolate, an official card, or a nice old-timey scroll). At the moment, the society does not have its act together. While we intend to influence democracies and change the baking world, we are slightly overscheduled, completely overwhelmed, and entirely disorganized, but we appreciate your enthusiasm. In the interim, we have a facebook page, an events section, to keep you informed of our goings-on.